This week, we talk about the Hollywood blockbuster The Woman King, starring Viola Davis. It’s an epic that features a group of women warriors fighting for the kingdom of Dahomey—and it’s got a lot of Oscar buzz. Lilah goes behind the scenes with Academy-Award winning producer Cathy Schulman to discuss what it took to get it made. Then, we look into what happened to plant-based meat. A few years ago, it was all over the news—but the hype died down. Has it been absorbed into our diets, or was it just a fad?
Want to stay in touch? We love hearing from you. Email us at email@example.com. We’re on Twitter @ftweekendpod, and Lilah is on Instagram and Twitter @lilahrap.
Links and mentions from the episode:
– The Woman King is available to watch in cinemas now across the UK and US.
– Cathy’s handbook on advancing gender parity in Hollywood: https://bit.ly/3NgKWeA
– The FT’s review of The Woman King: https://on.ft.com/3DdbKI6
– A profile of director Gina Prince-Bythewood by FT film critic Danny Leigh: https://on.ft.com/3DlUArE
– Emiko’s piece on how inflation will affect plant-based meat: https://on.ft.com/3sGJNDI
– Emiko’s Big Read on whether the appetite for plant-based meat has peaked: https://on.ft.com/3U4cKVN
Special offers for FT Weekend listeners, from 50% off a digital subscription to a $1/£1/€1 trial can be found here: http://ft.com/weekendpodcast
If you want to try FT Edit (8 stories a day, hand-picked by senior editors), it’s available in the iOS app store here: https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/ft-edit/id1574510369
Clips courtesy of Sony and Burger King.
Original music by Metaphor Music. Mixing and sound design by Breen Turner and Sam Giovinco
Hosted on Acast. See acast.com/privacy for more information.
Transcripts are not currently available for all podcasts, view our accessibility guide.
Read the full article here